I picked up my copy of the DE codex over the weekend but only sat down to read it last night. I know that lots of people have already written indepth tactical analyses of the book so I won't be doing that. What I HAVEN'T been hearing so much about is the new fluff found in the book which... y'know... actually gives us Dark Eldar fluff, an unprecedented feat.
So here are some of the highlights that I've found in the book so far:
- The Dark Eldar, and particularly the Haemonculi, treat death as a past time. If you're rich enough you can get completely regrown from even a single hand, and Haemonculi are apparently effectively immortal.
- Asdrubael Vect's favorite weapon: Imperial Cruiser. No, seriously- he's used one to annihilate an entire section of Commoragh that was in rebellion via warp core breach and manipulated at least a dozen Astartes strike cruisers to mount an attack on Commoragh, often using their ships as battering rams.
- Asdrubael Vect's second favorite weapon: black hole.
- Lady Malys' favorite weapon: an Ork Waagh!
- Duke Sliscus' favorite ride: your flagship
- It is whispered that Incubi can even be trusted to keep their word.
- Fabius Bile learned his arts from the Haemonculi
- Two Dark Eldar cabals once allied with Iyanden to fight off an Ork Waagh! post-Tyranid invasion. When asked why they did it they said that the Eldar's angsty necromancy made them smile.
- After a Haemonculi coven invades an Imperial world the remaining citizenry begin worshipping them after they leave, even fighting against the Imperial rescue fleet because they fear the fleshmongers more than Imperial retribution.
There's a lot more good fluff in the book, but those were what really stuck out to me. What is your favorite piece of background for the True Kin?
*Image from Games-Workshop