Apologies for the late post today- I have a certification test coming up for work tomorrow and have been sillily (is that a real word?) preparing for that rather than working on my toy monsters. So, in lieu of any hobby update I thought I would type up the list that I am hoping to run on Sunday for the 1500 phase of the escalation league.
My previous (1000 pt) list was this:
Tyrant, Cathayan Longsword, Ironcurse Icon, Heavy Armor, Luck Gnoblar
Butcher, Wyrdstone Necklace, Luck Gnoblar
6 Ogre Bulls w/ Ogre clubs, Bellower
6 Ironguts, Standard Bearer w/ Standard of Discipline
The list performed rather mediocrely, smashing Orcs and Ogres but getting absolutely slaughtered by High Elf magic. I found that when I could get off my Butcher's spells I won and when I couldn't/ was hampered by stupid Shadow magic I was cut to ribbons. There were also plenty of play problems, but it's what I had at the time.
So, expanding that to 1500 I wanted to include a few things, including:
- BSB. Having rerollable leadership, especially if I choose to include Mawseeker on my characters, is amazing. Plus adds another combat character to my force and ups the banner count by 1 so I don't auto lose if we roll Blood and Glory.
- Runemaw. The only banner that the Ogres have that is worth taking, it throws enemy spells onto a hapless nearby (gnoblar) unit. Either goes on the BSB or the Ironguts... but probably the BSB.
- Ward save for the Tyrant. Either 4+ or 5+ depending on how points work out.
- 4+ ward for the butcher. Having a decent save from his own gutmagic is awesome.
- Scraplauncher and the requisite Gnoblar Fighters. Scrappies are AMAZING this edition and grant some *gasp* shooting to my bellowing hordes. The Gnoblars serve double duty as necessary to unlocking the Scrappie and being a lovely chump unit for Runemaw to dump on.
Ogre Circus, 1500
Tyrant, Armor of Destiny, Cathayan Longsword, Ironcurse Icon (265)
Butcher, 4+ ward save thingy from the BRB (170)
Bruiser, BSB, Runemaw, Cathayan Longsword, Heavy Armor (190-ish)
6 Bulls with clubs, Bellower (220)
6 Ironguts with standard (278)
20 Gnoblars (40)
...leaving me with somewhere around 100 pts to spend. This could go towards upgrading the Bulls to ironfist/light armor, throwing in 2-3 more bulls for a nice 4x3 unit with the command characters, getting another two Ironguts, getting some more bling for my characters, more gnoblars... the list is endless.
I think my number of units is pretty damn low, but I'll have to think about what I can reasonably create in the next couple of weeks before I get started.
Another lame post tomorrow as I have to study tonight, but hopefully some good old fashioned content on Monday. Thanks for reading!